Boat with chipped paint, doesn’t please anyone, does it? Owning an aluminum boat comes with a lot of responsibilities and also a maintenance cost. As the surface of the boat remains in constant contact with water, it becomes essential to remove the chipped paint from it. You can also repaint the boat after stripping the old paint once a while. Beginners or the people new to this business find it challenging to decide the best way to remove paint from an aluminum boat. Being a proud owner of three boats, I have aced the procedure of removing paint form aluminum boat. And so to help you, in this article I will share the different methods for the same.
How to Remove Paint from Aluminum Boat?
I will brief you about each method to give you a little idea about the techniques. Go through these methods and decide the one that you want to opt for stripping paint from your boat. Some of the frequently used methods for stripping the paint off are as follows:
Method 1: Sanding
This is one of the easiest methods to remove the paint and also consumes lesser time. You need orbital sander or other automatic sanders to sand the boat surface. A lot of people also prefer using sandpapers with different grits to sand the problematic areas of the boats near the joints or screws. So you can use two types of sanders to remove the paint and smoothen the surface for prepping it to repaint the boat.
Method 2: Chemical Strippers
One of the best methods to remove the difficult paint from the boat is to use a chemical stripper. There are many chemical strippers available in the market to help you in scraping off the paint quickly from the boat. Make sure to wear safety gloves and other pieces of safety equipment. Follow this easy step-by-step procedure to remove the paint from the boat:
- Start with scraping the easy paint from your boat by using a paint scraper or sandpaper. There are many paint scrapers available both online and offline.
- Once you have scrapped the paint, take the chemical stripper in the pan. Pour the stripper as mentioned on the bottle of it.
- Apply a coat of chemical stripper all over the painted surface. This stripper will strip the paint and remove it with ease.
- Leave the chemical stripper for a good 20 minutes to allow it to attach to the paint and take it off.
- Now again, take a paint scraper and start scraping the paint. Sometimes it might take a little longer for the chemical stripper to work.
- Finish it off by using sandpaper with different grids and start sanding the boat.
- Get rid of the paint using all: sandpaper, paint scraper and a stripper for this process.
Method 3: Mechanical Scrapers
Unlike the chemical stripper method, this method for removing paint is a difficult task. You need mechanical tools for scraping the paint from the surface of the boat.
- There are many sharp tools and blades available that can help in removing the loose or chipped paint.
- You need to start working with these mechanical tools and use them according to the instructions given in the manual.
- Sometime you might have to use a combination of both blunt and sharp tools to obliterate the paint. Be careful while doing this and watch some videos to do it right away.
Method 4: Heat Guns
Using a heat gun is also one of the convenient methods to strip off the paint form the boat. As the name suggests, a heat gun provides an intense and direct heat that helps in stripping the paint from the surface.
- You can invest in a good and affordable heat gun if you need an easy tool to remove the paint from the boat along with other pieces of furniture in your house.
- It doesn’t produce an open flame and is a quick method for scraping the paint quickly.
- Make sure to wear safety goggles and gloves while using this tool. Also, it is advisable to keep away all the inflammable chemicals such as thinner, ethanol, stripper while using a heat gun.
Method 5: Shot Blasting
The last method on this list is called shot blasting. For this, you need a shot blasting machine.
- It shots the abrasive to propel the surface and removes the paint effectively. Some people also refer to this method as abrasive blasting. You can watch some tutorials to know about this method in detail.
- It removes the paint along with other impurities and dirt from the boat.
All the methods mentioned above work for removing paint from aluminum boat efficiently. My preferred method is using a chemical stripper as it can be done with ease and has low-risk rates. Before starting the process, get all the supplies handy and ready. These supplies for stripping paint from aluminum boat are available in departmental stores or hardware shops. Select the method as per your preference and scrap the paint like a pro.